September 7-9, 2022, Edinburgh, Scotland
After two years with virtual workshops due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are pleased to announce that the fifth International Workshop on Safety-II in Practice will be organised on site in Edinburgh, Scotland on September 7-9, 2022. The Workshop is organised by FRAMsynt. The workshop will begin with an optional half-day tutorial on Safety-II in Practice in the morning of September 7, and continue with two full days of meetings and discussions from noon September 7 to noon September 9.
Aim of the workshop
The aim of the workshop is to share experiences from existing and/or planned applications of a Safety-II approach in various industries and practices. The workshop will give the participants an opportunity to present and discuss problems encountered and lessons learned – good as well as bad, practical as well as methodological. The workshop is a unique opportunity for safety professionals and researchers to interact with like-minded colleagues, to debate the strengths and weaknesses of a Safety-II approach, and to share ideas for further developments.
The guiding principle for the workshop is “long discussions interrupted by short presentations”. In order to achieve this, the number of participants will be limited to 60 – first come, first served.
The workshop is open to everyone regardless of their level of experience with Safety-II. It will address the use of Safety-II in a variety of fields and for purposes ranging from investigations, performance analyses, organisational management and development, individual and organisational learning, and resilience. The workshop will provide a unique opportunity to:
- Discuss and exchange experiences on how a Safety-II approach can be used to analyse and manage complex socio-technical systems.
- Receive feedback on and support for your own Safety-II projects and ideas.
- Learn about the latest developments and application areas of Safety-II.
- Develop a perspective on the long-term potential of a Safety-II approach.
Discussion topics, presentations and papers
You can contribute actively to the workshop by submitting proposals for:
- Topics or themes for panel discussions (preferably with a presentation or introduction, but open suggestions of themes are also welcome).
- Presentations of ongoing or already completed work in industry and/or academia.
- Ideas that you would like to get a second opinion on.
- Questions or issues that you have been wondering about and would like to hear more about.
- The relevance of a Safety-II perspective for individual and organisational learning.
- The strategic management of Safety-II: how to introduce changes to routines and daily practice.
For each type of proposal, please provide a short abstract (about 100 – 200 words, but even less if need be) with a summary of what you would like to present or discuss and how you want to be involved. All proposals will be reviewed and comments to the submitters will be provided.
Please submit your proposed contribution to: email@example.com
- Registration opens May 02, 2022
- Deadline for abstracts/suggested topics July 04, 2022
- Notice to authors August 5, 2022
- Deadline for registration August 31, 2022
- Paper deadline (optional) August 26, 2022
Registration & registration fee
To register for the workshop, please use the link that will be opened here. Registration can be for on-site participation in Edinburgh or for remote participation via the web (zoom).
The registration for onsite (physical) participation is open from May 02, 2022 until Wednesday August 31, 2022, unless the maximum number of participants have been reached earlier.
The registration fee for on-site participation in the workshop is £350.00. This includes participation in the workshop on September 7-9, coffee breaks and lunches.
The fee for the tutorial on September 7 is £55.00
On the evening of September 8 there is the option to join a dinner for the workshop participants. The additional fee for the dinner is (tentatively) £45.00.
The registration for on-line (virtual) participation is open from May 02, 2022 until Wednesday August 31, 2022.
The registration fee for the on-line (virtual) participation in the workshop is £270.00.
Registrations only become effective upon receipt of the registration fee.
Venue & Accommodation
The workshop will be held at Surgeons Quarter in Edinburgh. Edinburgh has multiple possibilities for accommodation ranging from the mere convenient to the luxurious.
Scientific Organising Committee
- Erik Hollnagel
- Pedro Ferreira
- Jean-Christophe Le-Coze
- Riccardo Patriarca
- Steve Shorrock
- David Slater
Local Organising Committee
- Steve Shorrock
- David Slater
Questions, suggestions and ideas
For further questions, suggestions and ideas do not hesitate to contact the organising committee.